Two months After

It’s been two months since dad had his stroke.  I realize there are updates that need to be made, one of those being that we do think it was a stroke.  We had conflicting doctor views on this but I think, in the end, it was decided that’s what it was.  Time seems to be bearing that out.  Dad has regained some of what he lost during those early days in February.  He is NOT yet walking but he does use his legs to stand, for very brief periods, and he moves his wheelchair by ‘shuffling’ his feet.  His left arm has much more movement but is still very weak.  His left hand moves but he has to help it with his right hand usually.  Quite awhile ago, his left hand swelled up. It has stayed swollen, to varying degrees, since that time.  A week or two later, his left foot and ankle followed suit.  Today is the first day in weeks and weeks where there isn’t noticeable swelling.  At times, the swelling is so bad that his skin is shiny from being so tight.  Of course, during those times, he can not use it at all.  A few weeks ago, during the nurses weekly visit, his heart rate was 133 beats per minute.  With the swelling on his left side, she felt this seemed to indicate congestive heart failure.  His heart has done better in these following weeks checkups.  Congestive heart failure could be something that stays on the radar, however.  Overall, dad is MUCH slower.  Some days, it takes many, many minutes for him to follow through on a thought he has. Example, he decides to brush his teeth.  When he has this thought, he’s sitting in the living room watching TV.  By the time he’s actually finished the whole process, half an hour has gone by. It’s something that would take a healthy person about three minutes.  There are days where he just sleeps and nights when he doesn’t at all, and then, there are days and nights when all he does is sleep or at least lay in his bed and rest because he’s so tired.  His mind is usually pretty good.  He gets confused about things at times.  He asks the same questions over and over sometimes.  He focuses in on something, like cleaning the floor, and just can’t ‘let it go’. Sometimes he fights with his bed for hours, trying to get comfortable, but overall, although his mind is slow it’s decent for someone with dementia.  He’s much quieter than he use to be.  Sometimes, he’ll just sit and look at the floor, for a very long time.  He has days where he’s very weak and needs help with balance and up and down movements, like standing up and sitting down.  Other days, he’s pretty independent.  He can get himself to the bathroom and into bed most of the time.  I’ve noticed there are days where he’s uninterested in everything and can’t even follow a Heat’s basketball game.  He loves Lebron James!  Other days, he tracks a documentary about a basketball coach with almost no trouble.  Often, when he’s tired especially, his speech is slurred.  Some days, this is pretty pronounced.  Other days, you don’t notice it.  Things have stabilized a lot in this last month.  I think it’s safe to say that it would take very little to be right back in crisis mode with dad but that these past few weeks have been crisis free and surprisingly stable.  It was something we weren’t sure we’d ever see again in February.  Dad told me today that he’s going to walk again.  As the sun gets hotter and shines longer, optimism comes easier and I can believe it really may be.  He shocked us all last week when he filled the bathtub and got in and washed completely by himself.  He needed help to get back out but even six weeks ago, what he did would have been utterly impossible!  That dad is an ultimate warrior is indisputable.  The only one who doesn’t see him that way is himself. He still says he’s a wimp.  How completely and utterly ridiculous!  He’s the strongest, toughest warrior many of us will ever know.  I think I’ll be in shock when dad finally does go to his eternal home.  He’s been so close so many times and pulled through over and over, I’m beginning to think he’ll be here forever. I know for a fact, he’s hoping that’s not the case, some days, more than others.  Until that time comes, I’ll continue to be so grateful for each good day and so thankful I’m able to help with his care.  ——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-


About sehanna

I'm a stay at home wife and mom of three, who enjoys my 'job' very much. My children are getting older and beginning to stretch their wings, which is leaving me more time to pursue my interest in writing.
This entry was posted in Aging Parent, Care taking, child, children, Family, LBD, Lewy Body Dementia, mental habits, parenthood, positive attitude, reflective, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Two months After

  1. Heidi Winter says:

    Thank you for sharing Sarah, This was beautiful. You express your feelings so well! Blessings on you and your family as you help your Mother care for your Dad. May we all one day feel as loved and cared for as your Dad must by his family in these twilight years of his life.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s